Saturday, July 28, 2007

Nigel Short on Mr. Kamsky

Montrealchessfest 2007

Nope. It's not only about Gata, but also about his father, Rustam. Here is Short's answer to a question about his match with Gata Kamsky in the early 1990s:

What can I say? I have been playing chess for a very long time. My match against Gata Kamsky was by far the most unpleasant experience I ever had in my career. In essence Gata Kamsky won this match by cheating. His father threatened to kill me during the match. It was a very ugly incident. It had to be reported to the police. He (Rustam Kamsky) had to be pulled off me actually. So, quite frankly, I would rather not see him (Gata) But its not up to me, the organizers decide who is to participate. This is not my business. Gata Kamsky, if you talk to him now, I am sure you will find him to be a polite person. But its like someone who was part of a gangster group, and he would very much like to forget about these unpleasant parts of his past when he went everywhere with his father – who is nothing more than a thug. In other sports if you had a situation where a member of a delegation threatened to kill one of the players, and don’t forget Rustam Kamsky was a boxer, and, as far as I understand, had been in prison for such offenses, you would have an automatic disqualification, but for various reasons that didn’t happen. I am sure Gata Kamsky would like to forget about the influences of his father, but he benefited from it at the time. If I win this game it will give me more satisfaction than anything else.

2 Comments:

Blogger Blue Devil Knight said...

Holy shit! Where did you get that quote? That is crazy.

4:24 PM  
Blogger Ted Teodoro said...

I got it from the tournament's website itself--- montrealchessfest2007. Now that the tournament is over, Short, among other things, kinda blamed his very poor showing on this bad memory, something that still lives in his psyche.

6:43 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home