Tuesday, May 22, 2007



New York State Open 2007
Lake George, NY
The scenic beauty of this area makes tournament life a bit less stressful. Between rounds, when time allowed it, I jumped into my car and explored neighboring towns. There are lots of places to eat, and one can drive down to the very edge of the lake and just admire its beauty. It was a 3-hour drive from Bergen County, NJ with minimal traffic although the I-87 can get bogged down at the toll gates.
Anyway, here is the final position of my first game. My opponent, playing white, suggested a draw but I thought for a while before accepting his offer. White has just played 49. Ke3, and I naturally looked into going for the c4 square and/or going east towards the pawns on the g and h files. The computer gave this position an = sign, so I felt much better about my decision. If 49... Kc4, then 50. Kd2 Kb3 51. Kd3 Kb2 52. c4 bc+ 53. Kc4 and black will lose. Black has to go 49... Ke5 50. Kf3 Kf5 51. Kf2 Kg4 52. Kg2...


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home