Saturday, April 28, 2007


Let's go back to the Sicilian Defense.
The Paulsen System, a Chessbase DVD, arrived at my doorstep the other day. The author is Norbert Sommerbauer. This DVD deals excusively with the Kan Variation ( 4...a6 ) and the Taimanov Variation ( 4... Nc6 ), the latter being more complicated than the former, in my opinion. So, guess what? I am sticking with the Kan Variation! Just at the very beginning of this work, in its overview of the opening, I came upon a very interesting move order. This move order appealed to me specially because I also use the French Defense. In fact, according to Sommerbauer, the Paulsen System is also referred to as the Franco-Sicilian Defense mainly due to 2... e6. Here is the move order: 1. e4 e6 2. d4 c5. Your opponent thought he was getting a French Defense, but that is not a sure thing. You've got one foot in the French and the other in the Sicilian! Neat.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home